Official Withdrawals

University Withdrawal refers to a student withdrawing from all classes for a given term, starting the first day of the term and on or before the last day of classes (before Final Exams week). We hope you do not have to leave, so please contact Case Management if you need more information about your options.

If you must leave, be sure to follow the steps outlined on the Office of the Registrar website.

Your Financial Responsibilities Related to Withdrawal

Withdrawal does not eliminate your financial obligation to the University. You are responsible for any charges owed to the University at the time you withdraw, based on the University’s tuition and housing refund policies.

  1. There are specific federal, state, and University policies regarding tuition and fees, housing charges, refunds to financial aid programs, and repayments resulting from withdrawal. Information regarding the calculation of refunds and repayments, and the order of programs to which we restore aid, is available upon request in our office.
  2. If your University charges are reduced as a result of withdrawal, and it creates a credit balance on your student account, these funds may be used to repay the financial aid programs. This will depend on the amount of your financial aid and the date of your withdrawal.
  3. If you withdrew a credit balance from your student account to pay for living expenses, you may have received financial aid funds in excess of an amount reasonable for the length of your enrollment.
  4. Your enrollment for financial aid purposes will be adjusted to the courses for which you began attendance and your eligibility will be recalculated.
  5. If you received financial aid in excess of earned financial aid, based on the length of your enrollment.
  6. If you were eligible to receive a Federal Pell Grant while enrolled in school, your grant may cover educational costs incurred prior to withdrawal, including tuition and fees, housing, and living expenses.
  7. Financial aid cannot be disbursed after your withdrawal, except when the federal calculation allows.  Work-study money earned prior to withdrawal will be paid, however students may not work on work-study after withdrawing from the University.
  8. Your withdrawn credits will be counted as attempted credits according to the Satisfactory Academic Progress policy.

Unofficial Withdrawals

Students who leave the University and do not formally withdraw will be assigned grades of “F” (failure) or “U” (unsatisfactory).  Additionally, recipients of federal aid who never begin attendance or who unofficially withdraw from the University will have federal aid adjusted based on the date of the latest academic event in which the student participated.  If no academic event can be documented, 100% of federal, state, and institutional aid will be canceled because the student never began attendance.