Undocumented, DACA & ASSET Students

We understand paying for college can be scary and making the decision to attend CSU is often impacted by financial limitations. We’ve made an institutional commitment to help students who are undocumented in a number of ways, many of which are listed below.

ASSET In-State Tuition

Colorado’s Advancing Students for a Stronger Tomorrow (ASSET) bill, HB22-1155, allows students who are undocumented and who meet all eligibility requirements to qualify for in-state tuition at Colorado State University.


To qualify for Colorado ASSET in-state tuition, a student who is undocumented must have:

  • Attended a high school in Colorado for at least one year before graduation or completion of a general equivalency diploma (GED) in Colorado; AND
  • Lived in Colorado at least 12 consecutive months immediately preceding enrollment at CSU
  • Applied for the College Opportunity Fund (COF)

Next Steps

STEP 1: Apply for Admission

To receive ASSET in-state tuition, you’ll first need to complete the CSU application for admission.

  • In the Residency section, select “Yes” in response to the prompt, “Do you believe you may qualify for in-state tuition?” and answer the follow-up questions regarding Colorado high school enrollment, graduation, and physical presence. You’re encouraged to apply by February 1 to allow time to complete the CSU Scholarship Application, though ASSET classification is available year-round.
  • You’ll also need to submit your official final Colorado high school transcript indicating at least one year of attendance at a Colorado high school immediately before obtaining your Colorado high school diploma OR your official Colorado GED transcript (if applicable) prior to enrollment to verify your eligibility for ASSET.

Note: For an initial admissions decision, the Office of Admissions can use an unofficial transcript through at least your junior year.

STEP 2: Apply for COF & Complete the Affidavit

COF provides an annual stipend per credit hour for new and continuing in-state students who are attending a public college or university in Colorado.

  • On the COF application you’ll be asked to confirm if you’ve applied for legal presence or will apply as soon as you’re eligible to do so. Be sure to check the box under the personal information section indicating you don’t have a social security number or if you have a social security number through DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals). You’ll be issued a unique COF identification number for college use instead of the social security number.
  • Applicants who don’t have lawful immigration status are required to complete and submit the one time COF Affidavit, which affirms the student has applied for lawful presence or will do so as soon as they are able to do so. The affidavit is located within the main COF application. You can submit your COF application and signed affidavit to COF online or by printing the paper application.

Types of Financial Aid

Although students with ASSET status don’t qualify for federal financial aid, they may qualify for institutional and Colorado state aid.

Colorado Application for State Financial Aid (CASFA)

The CASFA is Colorado’s financial aid application for Colorado students who are undocumented. The CASFA will be available as early as October 1st each year and must be completed annually for institutional and state financial aid consideration.


ASSET students may be eligible for certain institutional and state grants. Grants are financial aid that don’t have to be repaid and are awarded based on your:

  • Financial need
  • Cost of attendance
  • Enrollment status

Be sure to complete a CASFA for institutional and state grant consideration.


Merit Scholarships

CSU awards some merit scholarships automatically based on your application for admission. There’s nothing you need to do to apply for these scholarships. Simply complete an admissions application by the recommended date to be considered. If you meet the academic criteria for these awards, you’ll be notified in your acceptance letter.

CSU Scholarship Application (CSUSA)

The CSUSA is a competitive online scholarship application for many of the scholarships at CSU. Most scholarships through this application don’t have a citizenship requirement. The application opens October 1st each year and closes March 1st.

Scholarships Outside of CSU

Scholarship opportunities for students who are undocumented are also available from sources outside of CSU. Check out the Latin American Educational Foundation or our scholarships page for more information about outside scholarships.

Working On-Campus

If you currently have DACA, contact the Office of Financial Aid to learn more about work-study opportunities.

If you do not have DACA, the National Immigration Law Center encourages you to speak with an immigration attorney before submitting or renewing a DACA application.

To be considered for grants and scholarships, it’s important to submit your completed application for admission by February 1.

Other Resources

Legal Resources

Legal resources are available in Student Legal Services, including access to immigration lawyers available by appointment.

Campus Resources

CSU has many amazing resources available to students who are undocumented. Be sure to visit the Campus Resources page for more information on how to get connected.

RAMcare grant

RamCare helps cover out-of-pocket expenses for services at the CSU Health Network.

Financial aid assistance may be available to pay for the RamCare Supplement Program for students who qualify.  Please contact us if you have any questions about this.

Want more information?

We have designated financial aid counselors available to make sure you have the right information about applying for admission and qualifying for financial aid.

Sylvia Martinez

Sylvia Martinez

Associate Director, Client Services
Hablo español

Phone: (970) 491-1570
Email: Sylvia.Martinez@colostate.edu