Steps in the Petitioning Process:
- Attend a residency orientation to obtain detailed information regarding Colorado residency requirements, the petitioning process, petitioning deadlines, and to obtain a “Petition for In-State Tuition Classification.”
- Complete the “Petition for In-State Tuition Classification” and attach all required documentation. The burden of proof to provide clear and convincing evidence of eligibility for Colorado residency is on the petitioner.
- We recommend you submit your completed petition by the Priority Deadline to Submit Petition. Petitions must be submitted no later than the deadline date.
- Completed petitions that include all required documentation will be reviewed within 4-6 weeks.
- You will receive your decision by mail or CSU email.
- To avoid late payment charges, continue to pay the amount due on your University student account by the due dates. If you are determined to be a Colorado resident, your non-resident tuition/fees will be adjusted to the Colorado resident rate. You will be reimbursed if you paid more tuition/fees than are due as a resident.
Any student who provides false information to avoid paying non-resident tuition may be subject to legal and/or disciplinary action.