Petition Process and Deadlines
Steps in the Petitioning Process
- Attend a residency orientation to obtain detailed information regarding Colorado residency requirements, the petitioning process, petitioning deadlines, and to obtain a “Petition for In-State Tuition Classification.”
- Complete the “Petition for In-State Tuition Classification” and attach all required documentation. The burden of proof to provide clear and convincing evidence of eligibility for Colorado residency is the responsibility of the petitioner.
- Petitions must be submitted no later than the deadline date.
- Completed petitions that include all required documentation will be typically be reviewed within 4-6 weeks.
- Students will receive the decision through CSU email. Parent petitioners will receive the decision through the email address provided on the petition.
- To avoid late payment charges, continue to pay the amount due on your University student account by the due dates. If you are determined to be a Colorado resident, your non-resident tuition/fees will be adjusted to the Colorado resident rate. You will be reimbursed if you paid more tuition/fees than are due as a resident.
Any student who provides false information to avoid paying non-resident tuition may be subject to legal and/or disciplinary action.
Petition Review and Decision Process
- Completed petitions that include all required documentation will be reviewed and petitioners will be notified of the decision by email typically within 4-6 weeks after the completed petition is submitted.
- If additional information is required, the additional information must be submitted within two weeks of the request unless special arrangements are made with the Tuition Classification Office.
- Decisions made by the Tuition Classification Officer may be appealed to the University’s Residency Appeals Committee.
- Petitioners who want to appeal the decision must contact Office of Financial Aid no later than the deadline provided in the decision letter.
- The decision of the Residency Appeals Committee is the final University determination for that semester.
- Submit completed petitions to Office of Financial Aid no later than the published deadline date for the semester for which you are petitioning.
- Mailed petitions must be postmarked by the deadline date.
- Petitions will not be accepted after the published deadline date.
- If you are a new student admitted to CSU no earlier than 30 days before the posted petition deadline or after the posted petition deadline, please contact our office as soon as possible to inquire about the petition process.
- Incomplete petitions will not be accepted and/or reviewed and your tuition classification and tuition assessment will remain non-resident for that term.
- Residency statutes do not permit retroactive tuition re-classification.
Petition Deadlines for Admitted Students
|Semester||First Date to Submit Petition||Deadline Date to
|Domicile Must be
Established by this Date
|Fall 2023||April 1, 2023||June 30, 2023||Aug 21, 2022||Aug 21, 2022 - Aug 21, 2023|
|Spring 2024||November 1, 2023||December 15, 2023||Jan 16, 2023||Jan 16, 2023 - Jan 16, 2024|
|Summer 2024||March 1, 2024||April 15, 2024||May 13, 2023||May 13, 2023 - May 13, 2024|
|Fall 2024||April 1, 2024||July 1, 2024||Aug 19, 2023||Aug 19, 2023 - Aug 19, 2024|
|Spring 2025||November 1, 2024||December 16, 2024||Jan 21, 2024||Jan 21, 2024 - Jan 21, 2025|
|Summer 2025||March 1, 2025||April 15, 2025||May 19, 2024||May 19, 2024 - May 19, 2025|
Petition Deadlines for GUEST Students
|Semester||Deadline Date to Submit Petition*||Domicile Must be Established by this Date||Domicile Year|
|Fall 2023||September 6, 2023||Aug 21, 2022||Aug 21, 2022 - Aug 21, 2023|
|Spring 2024||January 31, 2024||Jan 16, 2023||Jan 16, 2023 - Jan 16, 2024|
|Summer 2024||June 19, 2024||May 13, 2023||May 13, 2023 - May 13, 2024|
|Fall 2024||September 4, 2023||Aug 19, 2023||Aug 19, 2023 - Aug 19, 2024|
*GUEST Students whose applications are processed after the first day of classes for each semester and who want to petition for in-state tuition classification, must contact the Office of Financial Aid, Centennial Hall, (970) 491-6321. Petitions must be submitted by the end of course add/course drop for the semester.
Mailed petitions must be postmarked by the deadline date.
Attn: Tuition Classification
Office of Financial Aid
Colorado State University
1065 Campus Delivery
Fort Collins, CO 80523
You may drop-off documents in the secure drop-off box located outside of Centennial Hall on CSU campus (southeast corner of the oval behind the administration bldg).